Monday, December 20, 2010

Josh's Favorite Albums of 2010: #8 Slow Club - So, Yeah

Josh’s Top 15 Favorite Albums of 2010

#8 – Slow Club – So, Yeah


Okay so before I begin, I have to cut all you Slow Club purists out there who are just about to blurt out, “Yeah yeah, yeah, but So, Yeah came out *last* year, Josh.” with this…first of all, it’s *my* countdown and second of all, the American release of the album didn’t happen until *this* year (I even purchased my physical copy at Amoeba at the “New Release” section) so Yanks like me weren’t clued in until its domestic issue so shove it…*Ahem* So there’s my preamble.

Anyway, this album was one of those I randomly stumbled upon while looking through new releases earlier this year (See? New releases. This year.). This then always makes me wonder what albums and artists I’ve missed out on because it’s not a habit I always fall into. It’s kind of a shame and my head would implore if I pondered that any more than I will for the moment. Anyway, they’re (Charles and Rebecca) a lovely folk-ish duo from Sheffield, England who make very earnest songs of love and loss, in the fine tradition that it is.

The first of these tracks that grabbed me was “When I go”, which ponders when one might find the one and if they’ll hold their hand…when they go. It’s the kind of sentimental schlock I’m mental for. It’s funny because the second track is called “Giving Up On Love”, so it’s not all chocolate boxes and roses (Pulp reference. Just seeing if you’re paying attention). Although I know that a number of my friends who I roped into them really took to “It Doesn’t Have to be Beautiful” as well it’s accompanying video, which, if really done in one take, is quite impressive. “There Is No Good Way To Say I’m Leaving You” always gets to me because we’ve all been there, on one side of the conversation or the other. Oh and even though it was on the bonus disc, “Christmas TV” plays on those moments when you’re looking for connection, you may have found it, but circumstances may say otherwise.

It’s a sentimental and nostalgic, and sometimes brutal, look at life, love, loss, transition, and relationships with gently strummed guitars and swimming harmonies and fine first release. I’m looking forward to see where they’ll go from here and since it’s technically been a bit since this album was recorded, I’m hoping we see a new set soon enough.

When I Go

It Doesn’t Have To Be Beautiful

There Is No Good Way To Say I’m Leaving You

No comments:

Post a Comment