Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Josh's Favorite Albums of 2010: #15 The School - Loveless Unbeliever

Okay so before we begin, here’s a little history. A couple years ago on blog 1.0, when I wasn’t writing embarrassingly long posts about my last relationship ending I put together a top albums of the year countdown. The Fleet Foxes’ debut album came on top that year (2008) and then last year, Camera Obscura’s My Maudlin Career received top honors (okay, *now* I’m being cheeky). Also note that two years ago it was a top 10 and then last year it was pared down to a top 5. It all depends on how many new releases tickle my fancy from year to year. Anyway, it seemed like a good way to have me think back over my year in music and make it so I could properly assess how things went for me musically.

Now, to be fair, this *is* a list of my *favorite* albums lest we think this is somewhat unbiased. Because it’s not. This was also a particularly difficult year as there just kept on being one more new album after another I liked sooooo…sorry if your favorite didn’t make the list. It is *my* list. Okay well with that said, here’s the first album of my top…15…favorite albums of 2010.

Josh’s Top 15 Favorite Albums of 2010

#15 – The School – Loveless Unbeliever

I stumbled upon The School last year when iTunes recommended them because I’m a hopeless Camera Obscura fan. Talk about a stupid way to get into a band, I know, but honesty is the policy of this blog. Anyway, once I got their first single and EP, it was tough talking to them about people because *you* type in “The School music” into Google and see how that goes. I swear, people don’t think about these things when forming a band. So before this album was released their debut single, the lovely All I Wanna Do, and the Let It Slip EP, which featured the title song, came and things pointed to a really good debut album.

Okay well the main reasons why Loveless Unbeliever gets to the bottom of the list (hey, at least they *made* the list) is that there are only seven new songs in the set and even though they’re nice to the ears, there’s very little here you haven’t heard before. Don’t get me wrong, it’s wonderful retro-60’s pop music, and there isn’t a bad song I’ve heard from them so that’s a good thing. I also understand that as a band trying to gain some traction that it makes financial, and overall quality, sense to put everything they’ve recorded into one LP, but it still comes across as being odd.

I enjoy the set, although I will say it’s kind of like listening to one looong pop song, and once again it’s not a bad thing. Also because that is the musical world they live in, there isn’t as much musical or lyrical depth as I would have enjoyed but it’s the nature of this particular beast. Unfortunately, the album ended up slipping in the past week as I was going over my ranking preciously because of the depth issue. Buuuuut…for the times when I’m just looking for some sunny retro-pop, they do the trick every time and that’s a good thing. Here are a few videos.


Is He Really Coming Home?

Can’t Understand

No comments:

Post a Comment