Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Josh's Favorite Albums of 2010: #11 Crowded House - Intriguer

Josh’s Top 15 Favorite Albums of 2010

#11 – Crowded House – Intriguer




There seemed like a time on which we’d never have another new Crowded House album but now we’re two albums into CH 2.0 and it’s a nice mellow affair. Now, before I get to the album let me just say this. I’m of the mind that Neil Finn is one of the finest, and horribly underrated and underappreciated, songwriters of the past 25 years. Whether it’s his work in Crowded House, or as a solo artist, or writing albums with his brother Tim, or even putting together super groups (ala last year’s 7 Worlds Collide project), Neil has been amazingly consistent in output yet I cannot, for the life of me, explain him (or the band) to most people in any other way than usually saying, “You know. They did Don’t Dream It’s Over.” which is akin to explaining Ben Folds as simply the guy who wrote Brick (thanks for the example, Rich!!) as if that’s it.

Anyway, we’re sadly on version 2.0 as original drummer Paul Hester took his own life in 2005, just as Crowded House was reforming. Who knows how his influence would have shaped these past two outings but his spirit still seems to be with this band. I will say that this album is extremely mellow and atmospheric and I think Paul would have liked to have gone along for the ride.

I will say that the only bad thing I can say about this entire project is…wait for it…the absolutely hideous mustache Neil grew. I keep thinking it was a prop or some kind of joke. I mean, look at it!! (he’s on the left) One of the auto-complete options under Google images is, and I kid you not, “Neil Finn mustache” That’s not a good sign. However, I will say that if that’s the worse thing I can say about this album, that’s a good thing.

Okay well I’ve already mentioned the vibe of the album and it is a good “rainy day” album that you could throw on and sip tea to while taking it in. For me, the ode to family track Twice If You’re Lucky is one of my favorite singles of the year. It’s classic Finn but doesn’t fall into the trap of sounding like everything else he’s written. I think some songwriters can get into the habit of getting to that complacent point after awhile and I don’t sense that with this tune, or the album. In fact, there are twists and turns throughout the set that come as little surprises. Anyway, I may be largely over the fact that this band will never been seen as anything more than a one-hit wonder in the States but every release solidifies in my mind that we’ve got something special here even if I have to cite 20+ year old songs to jog people’s memory. Oh well. Long live the Crowdies!!!

Twice If You’re Lucky

Amsterdam

Either Side of the World

No comments:

Post a Comment