Thursday, December 23, 2010

Josh's Favorite Albums of 2010: #5 She & Him - Volume Two

Josh’s Top 15 Favorite Albums of 2010

#5 – She & Him – Volume Two

Where to begin with these two? Well the obvious is that this is one of the rare musical projects in which random actor/actress tries to make music…and it’s shockingly good. 99% of the time these projects are really quite myopic and ill-advised (reference every athlete who’s tried a music career) but in this case the results through two albums have been pleasant and enjoyable. Oh but before I forget (like I could) the actress in question is Zooey Deschanel…you know…from Elf. Kidding, she was also in…let’s see…Almost Famous, Mumford, Yes Man, (500) Days of Summer (Which I still refuse to see), Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy…and more. This is actually kind of problem as I’ve run across many a friend of mine who either largely dismisses them or find them overrated simply because it’s a musical act fronted by a famous actress. The contrarian in me might usually fall victim to this mindset but it doesn’t hold weight. I guarantee you that if this were some random duo from Silverlake, these same people would love them. Anyway and *ahem* Okay the Him in this band is M. Ward, who has carved out a nice career of his own as a rather respected indie artist for years. In addition to his solo career, and this project, he also was apart of the indie super group, Monsters of Folk, which released a great album last year.

All that aside, I think if I were to have purely done this list based on plays, this album would have ruled. I obviously never skip one of these songs when they come on my library as the play count is pretty impressive. The songs are light, but not flimsy, nostalgic without being too schlocky, with an ease that actual made for a perfect summer album this year. Album opener, “Thieves” meanders and shimmers on in to get things started and it immediate grabs you. In fact, they do a very good job with hooks on the album, so it’s earworm city. Lead single, “In The Sun” is catchy late 60’s pop and the video is a total send-up of Briteny Spears’ “…Baby One More Time” which doubles the win. The staccato piano in “Don’t Look Back” is perfect for the song and always gets me. I also can’t resist the ode to California and “Home” as a concept in “Home”. And geesh, I could go on, but you get the idea. Great tunes across the board and I really recommend this album (and this duo) if you are looking for something with lovely vocals, a 60’s-ish vibe, and general…awesomeness. Here are a few videos.


Thieves

In The Sun

Don’t Look Back

No comments:

Post a Comment