Thursday, December 16, 2010

Josh's Favorite Albums of 2010: #10 Josh Ritter - So Runs The World Away

Josh’s Top 15 Favorite Albums of 2010

#10 – Josh Ritter – So Runs The World Away


I first met Josh though my friend Caryl (it sounds like I’m already slipping into some kind of third person) early last year. I did see him live shortly thereafter and I’ve slowly gotten most of his albums. So when I randomly saw he had a new release earlier this year, I pounced. It took me a little time to get into this particular album, although I think part of that reason was that at the time I had purchased a lot of new music and I was having a hard time making time for Josh. That was silly.

I think in short time this could (*could*) be my favorite release but the guy. It’s lyrically tremendous as he weaves stories, offers songs of hope, and doesn’t repeat himself. Early in arrears we get The Curse, which is an odd sort of love story. It’s told from the point of a view of a mummy who is unearthed by and archeologist and their travels across the world. I’ve included the video below and it’s great provided marionettes don’t creep you out. Lantern is a simple song of looking for faith and asking someone (God, maybe, although he never explicitly states as such) to be his light in a turbulent and chaotic world. Another New World almost feels like the centerpiece of the album. At almost 8 minutes it’s certainly the longest of the set and it’s a strong, if unconventional, narrative. It’s the tale of an explorer traveling alongside his trusted companion, his ship, and how their relationship changes over time. I really relate to See How Many Was Made as it speaks to where I’m personally at as it’s an affirmation that we aren’t meant to live alone.

Anyway it’s a contemplative, rich, layered, and complex set filled with emotional ups and days and so maybe he’s just reflecting on how our lives mirror this ebb and flow. I really recommend this set and to get you started, here are a few videos.

Change of Time

The Curse

Lantern

Another New World


No comments:

Post a Comment