Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Rex Streak

Ok, so it looks like I'm back to blogging. Sorry I had a bit of a detour there but with moving, work stuff, lady stuff and lot…I’ve been busy. I also was a little overwhelmed with all the options given by having a blog here and I wanted to put forth an admirable showing before stepping back in.

Anyway, I’ve taken to podcasting in the past year, which has been nice as I’m no longer tied to catching things when they first air. I suppose that might make my iPod a DAR (Digital Audio Recorder?) in some respects so now I’m no longer tethered by time.

One of the four podcasts I subscribe to is the Jim Rome Show. Jim, and I know I’ve mentioned the program on my old blog, is a nationally syndicated sports talk show host but there’s so much more than that. There are people who apparently listen who don’t even follow sports as he’s a pretty entertaining talk show host but this isn’t getting us to the point of this blog post.

A few weeks ago, Jim inadvertently had a three day span when he interviewed a different guy named Rex. No one at the show even thought twice about it until a caller pointed this out and Jim made the decision to see how long this could go. Since then, and through today, there have been 15…yes 15…straight shows in which someone with the first name of Rex has been interviewed. This is great. I don’t think I’ve ever met more than a few people named Rex in my life and Jim has somehow found 15 guys named Rex in the sporting world to interview...in a row.

Now, the interviews haven’t been the kind that I would normally listen to, as I’ve mostly skipped past them. However, it does make me wonder a few things. Is there currently a sitting record for a streak like this? What other names would be good (submissions are welcome)? Should I name my firstborn Rex?

Anyway, go here if you want to see the full list of Rex’s and it killed me when I navigated to the Jim Rome Show homepage today to see that they now have a running clock counting down to the next “Rex” interview. Fantastic…

No comments:

Post a Comment