Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Josh’s Top 5 albums of 2009: #3 Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes – Up From Below

So here we are, back at it although before I get with things I have a confession to make. This list was always a top three list, but a top five just feels better than a top three list. It must be some kind of weird societal thing of having lists in fives and tens but that’s another topic. Anyway, three albums jumped out at me this year and here is number three (so it’s kind of a countdown within a countdown)…

Josh’s Top 5 albums of 2009: #3 Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes – Up From Below



Every once in awhile someone will point me in a musical direction totally unexpected and seemingly random all at the same time. My friend Jill casually referenced them to me on Facebook last summer and I was hooked after hearing one track on youtube. Sometimes that’s all it takes. It’s kind of like love.

More than almost anything else I just love the vibe of this band. As it is, there’s something like 50 people in the band (or less, but it’s quite the crowd), and they just exude a joy of life not found in too many acts out there. I think that means something. Also you have to love a bunch of latter day hippies making feel good music in an unapologetic sort of way. I think that since there appears to be a dearth of bands out there with this set of characteristics, so it make them shine even more so.

So let’s get to the music, shall we? As usual I’ll let a few of the numbers speak for themselves as I’ll share a few vids below (no pun intended) but I felt I should share a word or two. First of all, Home is one of the tracks of the year for me. Not only was their performance of it on the Letterman show my initial tasting of them but also…well…I’m a total sap and I find the concept of having someone be your metaphorical home appealing. I’m funny that way. It also helped that I went through a stretch in which I swore I woke up with the song in my head every other morning. I started to worry about myself.

Other than that, Janglin also burrowed its way into my brain as well (NOT complaining, btw) and carries such a late-sixties vibe that I would swear it was of the area. There’s also some oddly, shall I say “Anthemic” to Carries On and it’s one of those tracks I forget how much I love until it stumbles into my ears. Although I think I was sold when, upon listening the album a few weeks after getting it, and thinking halfway through, “This really *is* pretty fantastic isn’t it?” So for me I think Edward (or Alexander…whatever) is pretty magnetic (pun intended), Jade is adorable, feel-good folky/sixties inspired tunes never sounded better and I never go wrong throwing it in. What more could you ask for? Here are a few vids…

Home



Janglin’



40 Day Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment